Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tips for Getting Noticed When Applying for Jobs

As we are all preparing to graduate, many of us are in the process of applying for jobs. This process can be frustrating and time consuming, but there are certain things you can do to help you stand out more to companies. I am no pro at this, but in my search here are a few things I have found to be particularly helpful:


1. Reach out to a Person - Many large companies, and even some small ones, often times require you 
    to submit your application online. However, they receive massive amounts of applicants and often
    don't even look through everyone. When you take the time to reach out to someone in the company
    personally it shows real interest and can often times get your stuff to the right people for
    consideration.


2. Follow Up - Professionals receive a ridiculous amount of e-mails on a daily basis, so if they don't
    answer you right away, don't get discouraged. Give them a week or two and then follow up as a
    reminder; sometimes they just forget to respond and your follow up shows initiation.


3.Use Social Media to Your Advantage - Social media can be both a blessing and a curse when it
   comes to applying for jobs, so be careful and make the most out of it. LinkedIn is a great tool to use
   when you are trying to get noticed by a company. Professionals can see when you view their
   profile, so to initiate a conversation or to follow up with an individual view their profile and send
   them a personal message when you ask to connect with them. This shows interest and will often
   times yield a response.


Good luck everyone, I am confident that everyone will find something great!

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great advice! I for sure will use some of these tips when applying to jobs- especially the follow up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very good advice, thanks for posting this! I used to think that following up so many times would be annoying but I have come to find that it really does make you look good in the eyes of the company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great advice! These are definitely some tips I need to be considering as I continue my job search.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the tip about how to use LinkedIn. I often have considered reaching out to people on it when my profile is viewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was great advice Hailee! All these tips are extremely beneficial to all of us right now looking for jobs. I especially enjoyed the social media tip most of all since we have become such a technology based country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice Hailee! I will definitely keep them in mind when applying for jobs! I think its great that you mentioned social media because I can't say enough how much we could do to maximize the power and potential of social media to our advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the helpful tips! I'll definitely be using them as I apply to jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great tips! I will defiantly refer to them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some great tips, Hailee! In addition to following up, I would also encourage writing handwritten thank you notes - they go a long way and are a definitely a great tool to distinguish yourself as a professional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Abbey! These are awesome tips, as it's necessary to find a way to stand out from the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the info.

    I need to be 'mom' here: make sure your online 'image' does not portray you in a 'bad way'. How many pictures of you drunk and unconscious are there of you posted - how many of your stripper pics did your friends post of you last week are there? If you Google your name and look at the images that pop-up - are they something you want your potential employer to see? Seriously - some schools and companies use software that all it does is search the internet looking for images of you. Don't get caught with your pants down! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete